Engaging the Brain with Fall Activities
Pine cones, pumpkins, and leaves...Fall is in the air! Here are some activities aimed for children ages 2-6 years.
Fine Motor Activities:
· Use pipettes to drop paint onto pinecones
· Make pine cones look frosty with white paint and glitter
· Add pinecones to a sensory bin and use tongs to pick them up
· Press tissue squares onto sticky paper to make a leaf sun catcher
· Attach a clothespin to a sponge to paint a paper leaf
· Drop watercolors onto tissue paper leaves
Speech and Language Activities:
· 5 Little Pumpkins Song- Practice counting or simple adding/subtracting with your child!
· Way up High in the Apple Tree Song- Teach the concept of "up high” and practice articulation /w/ (way), /h/(high), and /sm/ (smiling)
· 5 Little Turkeys- Practice going slow and fast and playing stop and go with the song
Fall Books to Read:
· Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins- Practice counting
· Apples for Everyone by Jill Esbaum - Talk about sharing
· Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington - Talk about making different food items with apples.